Special Enrollment Period and Short Term Health Insurance
The 2014 open enrollment period for the affordable care act has passed. However, you may be able to take advantage of a special enrollment period if you have a qualifying event between now and the end of the year.
Under the right circumstances, you can apply for health insurance at any time between now and November 15, 2014.
Another option is to sign up for short term health insurance to get the vital coverage you need. Here’s what you should know about getting insurance between now and the end of the calendar year.
Basic Qualifying Event
A change in family status or the involuntary loss of your minimum health coverage is considered a qualifying event.
Changes in family status include:
- Getting married
- Giving birth to a child
- Adopting a child.
The involuntary loss of coverage may be through job loss or the cancellation of a policy that you previously had.
When to Consider the Special Enrollment Period
- If you have expanded your family through marriage, birth or adoption, then you’ll want to start filling out an application immediately.
- You may also qualify if you applied during open enrollment and there was an error on the government’s website.
- Native Americans, as defined by section 4 of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act, can change from one qualified health care plan to another once per month.
- People who have recently moved to the country or become citizens may also qualify for special enrollment period.
- Finally, people who are recently released from incarceration may also qualify for healthcare coverage outside of the open enrollment period.
Please keep in mind that you have up to 60 days to enroll once a qualifying event happens.
If you don’t qualify for coverage under any of these events, then you might want to consider short term health insurance. This protection will ensure that you are covered up to $2,000,000 in the event of a serious accident or major illness.
If your circumstances change later in the year, then you can still take advantage of the special enrollment period.
If you decide that short term health insurance is the right choice for you, then take the time to speak with an agent and review the policy details.
These plans offer bare-bones coverage, and pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Please speak with an agent today to get free short term health insurance quotes and determine your eligibility. 1-888-773-1181 x1